Wednesday 6 February 2013

Sleeping with Liffey

My dad told me a story once, about his dad.  My poppa.

When Poppa was a little boy, he used to go to sleep lying on his back, with his arms straight by his sides.  As if he was standing to attention.  Because he wanted to be a soldier, so he practiced every single night.  Poppa ended up having a career in the British Army as a Brigadier.

So ever since I was quite young, I've believed that the position you sleep in morphs it's way into reality.  Sort of a "You Are What You Sleep"

So, keeping that in mind, here's a small excerpt from my brain as I'm trying to get to sleep ...

Oh, so cosy.
Mmmm.... cosy.
I love these flannel sheets - I'm really glad I finally got some.  They really make a difference.
Mmmmmmmmmm..... cooooossssssyyyyyyy....

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD
My arms are crossed over my chest just like vampires and dead people in coffins.
I'M. GOING. TO DIE.
OH.
MY.
GOD.

Okay, calm down Liffey.  It's just a comfortable position to lie in.  Just put your arms by your side and stop getting upset.  
Breathe.
Relax.
Okay... I'm relaxed.

Mmmmm... cosy.
Yup - definitely glad about the sheets.  
Glad about the hot water bottle too - this country is cold.  

Brrrrr - okay, don't think about the cold.  Imagine you're on a warm beach, and you can feel the sand between your toes, and ....

*yawn*

Sooooooo coooosssyyy.
Warm.
Mmmm....
Toasty.
Sleepy
Sllllleeeeeeeeep ......

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH.  MY ARMS ARE TRYING TO KILL ME

Yup folks, a night in bed with me is far from boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment