Friday 29 March 2013

1, 2 ... 3

I don't have many tricks in my 'How To Get Your Toddler To Behave' bag, just 3: 

- Yelling
- Screaming
- Bribing.

However, I've just discovered a new one ... "Counting to 3"

Seriously - who would have thought this works, but it really does. 

Example:

Kalani drops his bowl of crackers all over the floor.

Me: Kalani please pick up your crackers.

Kalani: *blank stare*

Me: Kalani, PLEASE pick up your crackers from the floor.  They're going to make a massive mess and then I'm going to go crazy.

Kalani: *starts to walk away*

Me: Okay, I'm going to count to 3 and then ... *meaningful look*

Me: 1

Kalani: *looks a little worried*

Me: 2

Kalani: *quickly starts picking up the crackers*

Me: Thank you *whew*

Now I don't really know what happens if I get to 3.  My backup plan is to drink a glass of wine very quickly, take some deep breaths and then pick up the crackers myself while cursing the bloody mindedness of toddlers under my breath.  I wonder what Kalani thinks would happen though.  Toddlers have pretty crazy imaginations, so perhaps he thinks that a dinosaur will appear from the fridge and eat his toes.

Hopefully it won't give him nightmares.

Whatever.  It works.

For now ...


No comments:

Post a Comment