Monday 27 February 2012

Learning to love it here

It's no secret that I don't particularly like it here.  I don't like the cold, the location, the opening times of the pubs, the fact that my family is just so far away, and that's just the beginning of a long long list.

Before you start sending me rude messages, don't bother.  I'm about to try and remedy this myself so keep reading.

Someone once told me, or perhaps I read somewhere, that your beliefs are self-prophesising.  For example: If you believe that you are a confident person then you will be a confident person.  It might take some time of saying to yourself "I am confident, I am confident", but apparently if you do this enough, and you pretend to the world that you are confident, then one day you will be confident, even if you didn't start that way.

Anyway, the other day I was out walking the dog and I was thinking lots of negative thoughts about Newfoundland - along the lines of "Stupid place - why is it so cold and snowy?  Look, I keep falling over because it's so icy.  Argh, I just got wet snow down my sleeve" etc. etc.  And as I was walking I was becoming angrier and angrier, and more and more down in the dumps until I stopped and realised that I'm making it worse.

Sure, there are some things that I can't change, like the weather and the location, but there are a lot of good things going on in Newfoundland, and if I focus on all the positive aspects of this place then perhaps I'll start to enjoy living here.

So this is my plan.  I'm going to start documenting all the good things about Newfoundland. As I do this I'll share these observations/experiences with you.  I'm not sure how often I'll post about this, I guess it depends on how often I find something good to share with you.  But I promise you this - I will try to find the positives and I'm going to stop dwelling on the negatives, and perhaps this will work, and in a few weeks/months I'll love it here as much as everyone else here loves it.

Weirdo's!

Just kidding ;)

Yup - that's me.  You may just have to trust me on this one! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment