Wednesday, 29 February 2012

The Sleep Diaries: Week 2

So here we are in week 2 of the sleep diaries.

One of K's new habits (which I neglected to mention in any of the daily summaries), is to start shouting 'party party party' and wave his hands around.  While in bed.  At 5am.  When he's supposed to be going back to sleep.

The teenaged years will be great fun.

Day 8 (Thursday 23rd)

Initial wake-up at 5:20, though clock was set for 5:45.  Tried 3 times to get him to stay back in bed, but he kept getting up and crying.  The last time I went in I discovered he had a poopy nappy, so after I'd changed him I gave in to the inevitable - time to get up. *yawn*

Day 9 (Friday 24th)

Initial wake-up at 5am.  For some reason I was in K's bed with him - I can't even remember getting in, so I'm not really sure what happened there.  Anyway, once he was awake that was it.  I tried the old 'what does the clock say' routine, but he wasn't playing that game.  Oh no, he wanted to play a different game - initially one that involved all his stuffed animals, and then after 30 minutes or so (he may have gone back to sleep for 15 minutes in the middle of this - it's all a bit of a blur to me) he wanted to play a game that involved getting out of bed and up for the day.

So, we seem to be going backwards.  In a few days I'll be reporting that he's getting up at 4:30 again.  *sigh*

I've gone back to despising all those people with children who sleep late in the morning (and by late, I mean after 6:30!).  You guys suck and just to get you back I'm going to drop Kalani off to your house this evening and let you deal with the early wake-ups for a week or so, just to see how you cope!  Bah humbug :(

Day 10 (Saturday 25th)

Well hallelujah, we've done it (kind of).  This morning K didn't wake up until 6.30.  SIX. THIRTY.

Admittedly, he did wake up about 5 times during the night and needed me to go in and settle him back down again, but still.. 6:30!

Oddly, his clock was still showing the moon/night-time setting - for some reason it hadn't switched over the day-time sun, so unfortunately I'm not sure how much of his sleep-in was related to the clock, and how much was just because he'd been up so many times in the night that he needed the extra sleep.

Whatever the reason it was still 6:30! Woo hoo.

It looks like I may have to start despising myself :)

Day 11 (Sunday 26th)

Not a good morning.   At 5am he woke up, and even though I tried to get him back to sleep, even resorting to getting into bed with him, he insisted on staying awake, and at 5:30 I gave up and we were up for the day :(

Day 12 (Monday 27th)

This really is a yo-yo process.  This morning he woke at 4:30 and when I went in to try and settle him he said he wanted a cuddle, and, well, he's so cute and warm and soft and cuddly - particularly in the morning - so I climbed into bed with him and we cuddled and he went back to sleep.  At 6am the cat pushed her way into the room and started clawing all the furniture in an attempt to get us to wake up.  It worked.  So a 6am start this morning which is EXCELLENT.  It'll be interesting to see if we go back to an early start tomorrow morning!

Day 13 (Tuesday 28th)

Well, true to form, this morning was another 5am'er.  As far as I can tell the clock makes no difference at all.    I will not give up though.  I will continue to point at the clock, ask Kalani what time it is, and then say "YES, IT'S FLIPPING NIGHT-TIME, SO GET BACK INTO YOUR BED AND GO THE F**K TO SLEEP".


(As an aside, I really should get that book)

Day 14 (Wednesday 29th)

Yup, this morning was a 'late' start.  6am.  At least there's a pattern.

So to sum up for this week:

  • The clock may as well be relocated to the bin for all the good it's doing;
  • I'm tired;
  • Really, really, tired;
  • I've no idea what to try next.
Actually I do.  As I said earlier, I'm going to persevere, mainly because I don't like giving in, and partly because I'm a stubborn idiot.


No comments:

Post a Comment